Kirkpatrick Principle 4. Value must be created before it can be demonstrated.

Well, what is this one all about? This principle aligns with research that tells us that most of our learning effort is wasted when people get back to the workplace.

Some research tells us that only 15% of people involved in leadership development programs will do things differently, in a sustained manner. That’s not a great return on the expectations of our stakeholders. We also know that the majority of our L&D resources goes into the design, development and delivery of the learning. Some research has this at approximately 90%, leaving a mere 10% for any actions before or after the learning. We are placing virtually all of our resources in the area that gives us the least results! Work by Rob Brinkerhoff and others has shown that we can get as high as 85% sustained behavioural change if we place our resources into the before, during and most importantly the after camps. Don’t get me wrong, the learning itself if designed and developed well, with ROE in mind, is incredibly important but our complete package needs to be built around getting the behaviours actually going in the workplace, this is a focus on Kirkpatrick level 3 behaviours.

We must learn to change the way we spend our L&D resources, the learning is not the holy grail, it’s the results that our stakeholders need that we must go for. Prof Brinkerhoff’s work suggests that the mix of resource allocation needs to be 25% before the learning, 25% in the development and delivery of the learning and a whopping 50% into the post learning process.

Recent Kirkpatrick Gold recipients we worked with, in fact had no formal learning in their package, they placed almost all of the efforts in the on the job support and their results were fantastic! It was all about the right support and accountability of the on-job behaviours.

Creation of value therefore is putting our effort into designing a complete package before, during and post any learning. We have created a checklist that you might find useful to consider as you design your package, before, during and after learning…. Learning design checklist.

Do reach out if you have questions on designing a support package. So, Kirkpatrick principle 4 is about creating a package that will ensure a few critical behaviours are supported and encouraged when people are on the job, it’s not about the learning, it’s about getting value adding results through sustained behaviour change.

Principle 5. A compelling chain of evidence demonstrates your bottom-line value, the last of the foundational principles, seeks to understand the truth of what really happens during and most importantly after the learning when people are back in their workplace

Guest blog post by Mark Harris – GMD Partnerships

Subscribe and get updates to The Learning Gym blog!

Leave a Reply